email sent by Father Anthony Paris on 9 June 2022 to all registered parishioners of Salisbury Catholic Churches
I hope you are well and in the very best of spirits.
I thought I’d give you a quick update on where we are with the Merger. A formal document accompanies (see below) this email, but in short:
- The overwhelming response was that we should go ahead and merge the parishes.
- We have collated all the evidence and sent it to the Bishop.
- He will now present it to the Diocesan Council of Priests.
- If approved, a date for the merger will be agreed with the Bishop and publicly announced.
- The Bishop will then write to each parish involved and if possible either he or a Vicar General will visit.
- The Bishop will then issue a Decree of Merger as required by the particular circumstances.
- Ideally, the Decree will be read out at a celebration Mass at which the Bishop presides.
- Members of the merging parishes should attend and relevant guests should be invited.
I’ll keep you updated on progress.
On another note, 38 of our children made their first Communion recently and this week 18 young men and women will begin preparation for Confirmation. Please pray for them. The future of the church will begin to rest on their shoulders and they will need all our support and encouragement.
You will be pleased to know that Fr Jan from Poland will be with us in the Summer and we look forward to welcoming him back to Salisbury after such a long absence.
I hope you have a wonderful summer and i look forward to seeing you soon.
Fr Anthony Paris
Salisbury Catholic Churches
95 Exeter Street, Salisbury SP1 2SF